Inspired by Jenny’s Exploding Block Tutorial, I decided to one day make a quilt from it.
That day came when I was shopping to make my Husband’s Daughter’s Baby – who had just graduated to a big girl bed – a quilt. I had a quilt in mind, big then I saw the kitties! The kitties wouldn’t work with that quilt, but they’d be happy in an exploding block quilt framed in pink and turquoise, so I got them. I skipped up to the cutting counter, and told them I wanted it all. Cuz, come on, it’s KITTIES!
I also bought some turquoise, and I knew I had some pink at home.
I made my first test block, then spent 5 minutes trying to pull the layers apart to cut them.
Being a production junky at work, I tend to stream line things. At home I usually am more relaxed – something my co-workers would never believe. However, my work brain kicked in as I had found what I call “the time suck” So, to eliminate this time suck, I cut up some little pieces of left over batting from trimming a quilt.
I was only making 24 blocks, so I only needed 24 aprox 1″ sq pieces of batting.
I cut 4 strips 6 1/2″ wide to make 24 kitty squares,
2 strips 6 1/2″ wide to make 12 pink squares,
and 2 strips 6 1/2″ wide to make 12 turquoise squares.
I used a 6 1/2″ ruler to cut the squares from the strips. A marking pencil and very sharp pointy sicssors are also needed.
Since I would be cutting the pink and turquoise pieces after sewing them to the kitties, I drew my lines on the wrong sides of the pink and turquoise pieces – corner to corner – before sewing them. It is important to mark them before sewing them together, and to offset the ruler by the thickness of the marking pencil to get the line dead center.
Take them to the sewing machine . . .
I placed each kitty, pretty side up, put one piece of batting in the center [I swear I ironed these first!], and then placed the other pieces [pink and turquoise – one piece at a time], pretty side down on top of the kitties.
Then I sewed 1/4″ seam on all 4 sides.
Now I could seperate the fabrics with ease!
Simply fold on one of the lines, and nip the perpendicular line to get a starter cut.
I finished cutting on all the lines right down to the corner, and popped out my batting pieces.
Iron them back, and we have our kitties peeking out at us from their little pink and turquoise frames. These will be 8 1/2″ at this point.
Now, one thing to keep in mind is that, while this looks like a square in a square, it’s not. The big difference is that the points will be nipped off, which will be fine with many fabric designs. Other designs [or obsessing] may cause you want to actually make a square in a square, but I resolved not to obsess over this quilt [yet].
Because the points would be cut off, I decided to sash it, and found a bit of brown floral for the conerstones.
The center of this twin sized quilt is finished [currently 39.5 by 59.5] and ready for borders
and then I made a mistake.
I sent Mom a picture of what I was making.
Opon receiving her quilt last year, my Mom has now taken an intrest in my designs.
She texted back that she thought the borders were kind of plain, and asked why I didn’t extend the design out more. After explaining to her that the borders weren’t added on to make the quilt bigger, but to frame the design on top of the twin size mattress, and that they would actually drape down the side of the bed, I decided to get all fancy shmancy about it.
New design – which I did not show her.
I am still cutting all the oddly shaped pieces. Thanks Mom.
I guess she hasn’t heard “Finished is better than perfect” yet. She will. After my head explodes I’m having that engraved on my tombstone.
#ExplodingBlock #FinishedIsBetterThanPerfect #WhyDoIListenToMyMother #Kitties!
One thought on “Exploding Block [Head]”
Thanks. Lots of advice.